Dining Hall

This draft for a solid, stately dining hall was proposed in 1953. Aside from any aesthetic consideration, the new dining hall was intended to house 750 persons at one sitting. The kitchen and bakery would utilize state-of-the-art equipment such as thermo-tainters for hot and cold foods, automatic garbage disposals, dishwashers, walk-in freezers and moving conveyer belts for trays of dirty dishes. The actual building used for several decades as the dining commons was eventually refurbished as the campus bookstore, and its upper floor for the Office of the Registrar and other departments. (Dining Hall promotional booklet, 1953)

Dining Hall